Swan Hill Rural City Council is committed to the Occupational Health and Safety of its staff and the well being of the community.
In accordance with the Victorian Chief Health Officer (CHO) Workplace Directions (no 7), 11 October 2020 and relevant lawful exceptions, Council staff are permitted to remove face masks or approved face coverings when:
- The worker has a physical or mental health illness or condition or disability which makes wearing a face covering unsuitable; or
- The worker is communicating with a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, where visibility of the mouth is essential for communication; or
- The nature of a worker’s work means that wearing a face covering creates a risk to their health and safety including strenuous work in extreme weather conditions covered under Councils Working in Heat Policy; or
- The nature of the work means that clear enunciation or visibility of the mouth is essential; or
- The worker is working by themselves in an enclosed indoor space (unless and until another person enters that indoor space); or
- The worker is working by themselves in an outdoor space, provided no other person is also in the outdoor space (except a person who ordinarily resides at the same premises as the worker); or
- The worker is travelling in a vehicle for work purposes by themselves or where each other person in the vehicle ordinarily resides at the same premises; or
- The worker is consuming food, drink or medicine; or
- The worker is asked to remove the face covering to ascertain identity; or
- There is a need for emergency purposes; or
- Required or authorized by law to do so; or
- Wearing a face mask is not safe under the specific circumstances.
For more information please phone Council on 5036 2333.
For more information about wearing face masks please visit DHHS website