An amendment has been made to simplify the Planning Schemes for all Victorian municipalities with a Farming Zone, exempting the use of land for the purposes of rural worker accommodation.
Swan Hill Rural City Council’s Director Development and Planning, Heather Green said that farming zones on a minimum land area of 40 acres were now eligible to build worker accommodation in these zones, providing a number of conditions were met.
“This amendment is a great step forward, it will enable on farm accommodation for seasonal workers with minimal red tape – something that is currently in great demand, particularly in our region,” she said.
Ms Green said a number of conditions needed to be met in order to achieve a permit exemption, including a new definition for the term ‘Rural Worker Accommodation’.
“To prevent these new accommodation facilities being used as permanent housing, the definition of rural worker accommodation has been clearly stated, as follows:
”Land used to accommodate a person engaged in agricultural production away from their normal place of residence.”
“The exemption requires the worker to have normal place of residence apart from the on farm accommodation,” Ms Green added.
Ms Green said this is an important step in increasing the number of safe and secure beds available for seasonal workers across the municipality
“Council acknowledges the important role that farmers play in driving the local agriculture economy.
“By supporting local farmers to provide safe accommodation to their workforce, it enables continued growth in our already successful agriculture sector,” Ms Green said.
Ms Green said that other approvals including building and wastewater permits were still required for the dwellings.
For more information please call Council’s planning department on 03 5036 2333.
The full list of conditions to be met to achieve permit exemptions are as follows:
- The number of persons accommodated at any time must not be more than 10.
- Rural worker accommodation must be used in conjunction with Agriculture on the same land or contiguous land in the same ownership.
- Must be used exclusively for accommodating workers engaged on the same land or contiguous land in the same ownership.
- Must be the only accommodation other than a dwelling on the same land or contiguous land in the same ownership.
- Must be on the same lot as an existing dwelling.
- The lot must be at least the area specified in a schedule to this zone for which no permit is required to use land for a dwelling. If no area is specified, the lot must be at least 40 hectares.
- Must meet the requirements of Clause 35.07-2. (Use of land for a dwelling)