Lease or licence Council land

Swan Hill Rural City Council is responsible for a portfolio of properties, most of which are occupied and utilised by the community, or by organisations that provide a service to our community.

In addition to land and buildings which are owned by Council, we also manage a number of Crown Land Reserves as the appointed Committee of Management under the Crown Land Reserves Act 1978.

There are various types of occupancy on Council and Crown land. In almost every circumstance, an agreement with Council is required to legitimately enable the occupation.

The main types of occupancy agreements are Leases and Licenses, along with some permits. The application to Lease or Licence Council Land is for community, private, residential, grazing/farming or commercial use.

When we review lease or licence applications, we consider:

  • Local Government Act Section 115 – Lease of land
  • Planning requirements
  • Commercial and community outcomes
  • Strategic planning – future use
  • Environmental impacts
  • Any other matters in relation to the land

How to apply

Apply online

Step 1.Prepare your supporting information

While completing this form we will request

  • Property details
  • Descriptions of intended use
  • Any alterations or additions to the property (upload supporting documents)
  • Proposed term
  • Applicant contact details

Step 2.Complete the online form

Request to lease or license Council land

What happens next

After you complete the form we will send you an email receipt to confirm we have received your request.

First stage review

After your request is received an internal assessment will be undertaken to determine if the land is available.  This can take 1 to 4 weeks depending on the level of detail supplied in the request.

A member of the Procurement and Properties team will contact you to let you know if the land is available.

Second stage review

If the land is available, the next stage may involve obtaining clearances and approvals from government agencies and/or utility authorities.

A lease or licensing agreement will be drawn up and agreed to by all parties, this can take up to 20 weeks.