Swimming pools and spas

Every year in Victoria, approximately four young children tragically lose their lives in accidents involving home swimming pools or spas, while many others are rushed to hospitals following near-drownings.

In response, the Victorian state government has introduced new legislation to ensure that pools and spas are as safe as possible for everyone. If you own a pool or spa, you are required to:

  1. Register your pool/spa with Council
  2. Arrange to have your pool/spa barriers inspected
  3. Lodge your Certificate of Barrier Compliance with Council
  4. Keep your pool/spa compliant

An inspection of your pool or spa barrier can only be carried out by:

  • a registered building surveyor
  • a registered building inspector
  • a municipal building surveyor (not available at the moment)

You can search for a registered building practitioner authorised to carry out inspections and certification using the VBA Find a practitioner tool or google 'pool Inspections Swan Hill'.

The laws apply to swimming pools and spas that are capable of holding more than 300 mm (30 cm) of water. This includes permanent pools, above ground pools, indoor pools, hot tubs, bathing or wading pools, and some relocatable pools.

Relocatable pools that do not consist of multiple components and do not require any assembly are not subject to the barrier requirements. An example of such a product is a small inflatable pool that requires no assembly other than inflation.