The overall purpose of the 2022-2025 DAMP is to create an environment where people and pets can peacefully and safely co-exist within the community and where pet owner’s activities and those of their pets do not adversely affect the rest of the community or environment. By implementing this plan Council will endeavour to provide a service that meets both community expectations and addresses our statutory obligations by;
- Documenting current processes and practices in relation to our animal management responsibilities.
- Minimising non-compliance with the Domestic Animals Act 1994.
- Increasing pet owner’s knowledge of the principles of responsible pet ownership, enhancing community safety and improving awareness of the benefits of annual registration.
- Supporting the Regulatory Services team to achieve the stated objectives of reducing the numbers of dogs and cats being impounded and euthanased.
- Maximising the numbers of dogs and cats that are registered.
- Ensuring Authorised Officers are suitably trained to carry out their duties effectively.
- Communicating to the broader community about the education and enforcement actions Council undertakes.
- Reducing the harmful effects of domestic animals on the population of native birds, mammals and reptiles.
- Consulting with the broader community and taking their views on animal management matters into account.
- Complying with the relevant provisions of the Domestic Animals Act 1994.
How can we improve this page?
Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.
Please include your email address if you would like a reply.