|CEO EMPLOYMENT AND REMUNERATION POLICY
|Director Corporate Services
This policy sets out Swan Hill Rural City Council’s (Council) approach to managing Chief Executive Officer (CEO) performance and remuneration in accordance with Section 45 of the Local Government Act 2020. This policy also provides guidance to Councillors on the management of the life cycle of the CEO’s employment including recruitment.
This policy applies to all Councillors and the Chief Executive Officer of Swan Hill Rural City Council.
The Council is responsible for the appointment of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), determining (with the CEO) the CEO’s performance objectives, assessing the CEO’s performance annually and determining the CEO’s contract conditions including remuneration.
This policy has been developed to support the requirements of the Local Government Act 2020 relating to CEO employment and remuneration.
Council will carry out its functions relating to the appointment, remuneration and performance review of the CEO in accordance with the following best practice principles:
- Decision-making principles that are fair, transparent and applied consistently;
- Decision-making criteria that are relevant, objective and available to the person subject to the decision;
- Decisions and actions that are conducive to ongoing good governance;
- Documentation that is clear and comprehensive to render decisions capable of effective review;
- Employment decisions that are based on the proper assessment of an individual’s work-related qualities, abilities and potential against the genuine requirements of the
- Decisions to appoint a new employee are based on merit.
The responsibility for assisting Council with its obligations regarding CEO employment, performance and remuneration will be delivered through the CEO Employment and Remuneration Committee.
In managing CEO performance and remuneration, Council will have regard to the provisions of the contract of employment of the CEO and the Chief Executive Officer Employment and Remuneration Procedure.
As leader of the organisation, it is critical to the performance of Council that its CEO is performing in a highly effective manner. This policy is established to ensure that the CEO’s performance is reviewed in a formal way thus recognising the importance of feedback and continued performance improvement.
- PRO/GOV005 Chief Executive Officer Employment and Remuneration Procedure
- Local Government Act 2020
Signed: Cr Jade Benham (Mayor)
How can we improve this page?
Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.
Please include your email address if you would like a reply.