|POLICY TITLE||COUNCIL EXPENSES POLICY|
|DATE ADOPTED||MARCH 2001|
|LAST REVIEW||APRIL 2023|
|TO BE REVIEWED||APRIL 2026|
|RESPONSIBLE OFFICER||CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER|
The purpose of this policy is to outline the conditions under which expenses incurred by Councillors, and where required members of delegated committees while performing their civic, statutory and policy-making duties, are reimbursed or paid by Swan Hill Rural City Council (Council).
The reimbursement of expenses should provide a reduction of barriers to effective participation in Local Government by members of the community by providing support to reduce personal financial costs associated with civic leadership
This policy applies to all Councillors of Swan Hill Rural City Council and where required members of delegated committees under section 63 of the Local Government Act 2020.
Councillors and members of delegated committees are entitled, under section 40 of the Local Government Act 2020 (the Act), to reimbursement of expenses reasonably incurred in the performance of their duties.
This policy ensures that the reimbursement of these expenses is in accordance with the Act and meets the Act’s principles of public transparency; achieving the best outcomes for the municipal community; and ensuring the ongoing financial viability of the council.
Councillors and members of delegated committees will be reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses which the Council are satisfied:
(a) are bona fide expenses;
(b) have been reasonably incurred in the performance of the role of councillor or member
of a delegated committee; and are reasonably necessary for the councillor or delegated committee member to perform that role.
Council must provide details of all reimbursements to the Audit and Risk Committee and
quarterly to Council Meeting.
Expenses Covered by Council:
- Child Care
- Carer Expenses
- Legal Expenses
- Conferences or Training
- Stationary & various support as per PRO/GOV004
- Mayoral Vehicle
- Mobile Telephone
- Meals and relevant incidental costs
Councillors may request approval of CEO for advanced payment to cover travel costs.
Councillors will be required to provide evidence and reconcile actual payments against expenses incurred.
Expenses not covered by Council
The following expenses will not be paid or reimbursed by Council:
- Traffic and parking infringements
- Mini bar expenses
- The costs of operating a home office other than stationery and other support otherwise provided by Council
- Costs associated with personal grooming and apparel except for personal protective equipment which will be provided by Council
- Civil or criminal penalties imposed by a court tribunal or other competent jurisdiction
- Any costs associated with campaigning activities
- Councillor Code of Conduct
- POL/GOV013 Travel by Councillors Policy
- POL/CORP218 Information Technology acceptable use Policy
- PRO/GOV004 Council Expenses Procedure
- CPOL/GOV023 Public Transparency Policy
- Governance Rules
- Local Government Act 2020
- Carers Recognition Act 2012
Signed: Les McPhee (Mayor)
How can we improve this page?
Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.
Please include your email address if you would like a reply.