|POLICY TITLE||DEBT COLLECTION|
|DATE ADOPTED||NOVEMBER 2001|
|DATE REVIEWED||DECEMBER 2017|
|TO BE REVIEWED||DECEMBER 2020|
The purpose of this policy is to establish a clear and concise framework in which to pursue outstanding debts owed to Council, thereby ensuring reliability of revenue collection.
This policy applies to all Council employees with responsibility to ensure collection of monies on behalf of Council.
Council will collect outstanding monies owed to it, using all possible legal means and having due regard to genuine applications for financial hardship.
Council will undertake legal action only once all other collection avenues have been exhausted.
Council will develop and implement procedures to ensure reliable revenue collection. Outstanding debts owed to Council shall be followed up in accordance with the Debt Collection Procedure – PRO/CORP204.
The Debt Collection Procedure will:
- Identify the debt collection methods to be utilised when collecting amounts owed to Council
- Establish and confirm timeframes and associated actions in pursuit of outstanding debts owed to Council
- Provide defined protocols when negotiating with Council clients on debt collection issues.
- Financial Hardship Policy POL/CORP227
- The Local Government Act 1989
Signed: Les McPhee (Mayor)
How can we improve this page?
Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.