|POLICY TITLE||ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT POLICY|
|DATE ADOPTED||APRIL 2007|
|CURRENT AS AT||JUNE 2016|
|TO BE REVIEWED||JUNE 2019|
Council’s Environmental Management Policy will:
Provide Council with a strategic framework to undertake a range of activities in order to protect and enhance our local environment, including climate change adaptation and mitigation, the effective management of waste and water, the protection and enhancement of native vegetation, and the control of roadside weeds and pests.
This policy provides the context for the development of specific environmental strategies and management plans to enhance operational procedures and foster environmentally responsible behaviour within staff and contractors.
This policy applies to all operations and assets of Council that the Council has direct responsibility for and control over. The application of the policy will at all times be consistent with triple bottom line principles.
The Environmental Management Policy will contribute towards Council’s effective delivery of environmental management in the areas of compliance, sustainability and management of its own work practices to reduce the impact on the local environment’s air, water, soil and biological systems. Specifically Council will:
- Provide for the protection, enhancement and rehabilitation of Swan Hill’s natural environment on land and waters controlled by Council.
- Take into account the affects of climate change on council operations and undertake strategic actions that enable adaption and mitigation.
- Improve the management of Council’s water use and disposal.
- Effectively manage our waste stream to reduce quantity of material entering land fill.
To achieve significant environmental sustainability Council will continue to implement and devise a wide range of management strategies and action plans including but not limited to:
- Resilience Action Strategy 2012-15
- Roadside Management Plan 2009-13
- Sustainable Living Strategy 2010 – 14
- Sustainable Water Strategy 2011
- Sustainable Water Use Plan 2007-11
- Waste Management Strategy 2015-20
- IDM Guidelines – Design and Build New Developments.
- Aboriginal Heritage Act (2006)
- Biodiversity Act (2002)
- Catchment and Land protection Act (1994)
- Conservation Forest and Lands Act (1987)
- Environment Protection Act (1970)
- Environment Protection and Biodiversity Act (1999)
- Fisheries Act (1995)
- Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act (1998)
- Litter Act (1987)
- Local Government Act (1989)
- Planning and Environment Act (1987)
- State Environment Protection Policies (SEPPS)
- Water Act (1989)
Signed: Cr Les McPhee (Mayor)