|POLICY TITLE||RECREATIONAL VEHICLE (RV) FRIENDLY POLICY|
|DATE ADOPTED||SEPTEMBER 2017|
|DATE REVIEWED||April 2023|
|TO BE REVIEWED||April 2026|
To outline Swan Hill Rural City Council’s (Council) position for providing in principle support regarding the establishment of a Recreational Vehicle (RV) Friendly Town or Destination as per the Caravan and Motorhome Club of Australia (CMCA) definition.
This Policy applies to Council, Community organisations and/or third parties involved in management of RV Friendly sites. An RV Friendly site is land identified for the purpose in which Swan Hill Rural City Council may be the land owner or responsible under agreement with the land owner. This policy is not applicable to free camping sites under the management of other authorities.
Council aims to find the correct balance between capturing the economic opportunities available through the RV Friendly market, and supporting the needs of local businesses in the region including accommodation providers, in particular Caravan Parks.
Council will undertake the following approach when considering RV Friendly Towns and Destination applications in the municipality:
- Provide support in principle of an application to become RV Friendly Town or Destination as per the Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia (CMCA) guidelines in communities where there are no commercial tourist camping facilities. This support is subject to this type of development being identified within the relevant Community Plan and the development of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), license or contract clearly stating the management responsibilities of the site.
- In communities with a commercial tourist camping facility, Council will not support the development of an RV Friendly Town or Destination, unless it can be demonstrated that the development will provide significant economic benefit to the municipality and will not be detrimental to existing commercial operators.
Council will provide in principle support to endorse an application to the CMCA for RV Friendly status only if it meets the above criteria, deems the location suitable and meets the CMCA guidelines.
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), license or contract will be developed between Council and the community group/s or third party managing the RV Friendly site.
Related Policies / Documents
- Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia (CMCA) RV Friendly Town Program
- CMCA (Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia), 2018, Low Cost, Self-contained RV
accommodation – Position Paper
- Competitive Neutrality Legislation – Office of the Commissioner for Better Regulation (OCBR).
Signed: Les McPhee (Mayor)
How can we improve this page?
Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.
Please include your email address if you would like a reply.