Home > About Council > Rates and Charges > How Rates are Calculated
How Rates are Calculated

How Rates are Calculated

In 2016, the Victorian Government introduced rate capping to restrict the amount that councils can raise their rates each year. The rate cap is set each year by the Minister for Local Government.

The rate cap applies to the percentage increase in a council’s average general rate and municipal charge. It does not apply to each property owner’s rates notice.

Rates are based upon the Capital Improved Value (CIV) of each property. Council then provides a tax rate for each property known as ‘the rate in the dollar’.

The CIV is multiplied by the rate in dollar to total the amount of annual rate raised.

For 2022/23 Council has several tax rates for different property groups.

Council also provides rate reductions for Not-For-Profit recreational properties and for commercial properties in Common Occupancy with a residence.

Special rate

Properties classified as tourism, commercial and industrial in the declared area of the towns and surrounding areas of Swan Hill and Lake Boga.

Funds raised through the special rate are used by Swan Hill Incorporated to promote the Swan Hill region as a place to live, work, visit and shop.

Swan Hill Incorporated is governed by a local board and three sub-committees who carry out activities. This includes television and print advertising, shop local campaigns, professional development, business forums, local festivals and events, and promoting the region at consumer trade shows.

The special rate categories are:

  • Tourism and Hospitality –0.00247946 cents in the dollar CIV
  • Commercial –0.00120286 cents in the dollar CIV
  • Industrial –0.00043705 cents in the dollar CIV

All categories have a minimum amount of $50.00.

Maximum amounts are also set:

  • Tourism, Hospitality and Commercial properties – $7,594.16
  • Industrial properties – $379.70

Fire Services Property Levy

From 1 July 2013 Council must levy and collect Fire Services Property Levies.  The levy has a fixed and variable component.

The levies are shown on your annual rate notice. The levy is forwarded directly to the State Revenue Office. Council does not receive any funds from the levy.

For more information about the Fire Services Property Levy please visit:
Fire Services Property Levy website

Garbage service charges

Every property with a habitable dwelling in the garbage service collection area must pay a garbage collection charge.

Did you find this information useful?

How can we improve this page?

Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.

Please include your email address if you would like a reply.