Swan Hill Rural City Council is committed to supporting all customers. Accessibility is an important issue, and Council’s website has been designed to conform to W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
What does this mean?
Essentially, it means that the site has been designed so that the web content is more available to all users. This takes into account users with different computer hardware and software, as well as users with disabilities. Examples of the features used include:
- Font increase and decrease options
- Clear navigation mechanisms
- Clear and simple text
- Mix of visual and text content
- Comformance to W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
- These are just some of the design features helping visitors to our site find the information they need quickly and easily, whatever the context.
PDF files are used throughout this website. While we try to avoid publishing PDF documents, unfortunately this is not always possible. If you come across a PDF file that you are unable to use due to an accessibility issue we encourage you to contact us. Our RuralAccess Coordinator will be able to assist you in determining what format would best suit your needs and we will do our best to provide you with a copy that you can easily access.
Phone: (03) 5036 2404
Throughout our site you will find font increase facilities along with ReadSpeaker options. These options are available on all full pages and full posts from the Accessibility Tools box in the right hand menu.
ReadSpeaker allows the text on the website to be read out loud to you. It provides you assistance if you have trouble reading text online. By having the text read out loud to you, you can understand the information on the website more easily. This makes the content more accessible and the website more pleasant to visit. As a user you don’t have to download anything.
How does it work?
Listen to the main content
After you have clicked on the ‘Show Reader Button’ (in the Accessibility Tools box in the top right corner of the website), the Listen button will be displayed above the content of the page. You simply click the Listen button to listen to the webpage’s content.
An audio player appears and ReadSpeaker starts reading the text of the webpage out loud.
In the player you can:
- Pause/restart the reading
- Stop the reading
- Use the progress bar to navigate in the audio
- Adjust the volume
- Click the settings icon to adjust the behavior of the service
- Click the download icon to download the audio file
- Close the player
You can use tab/shift+tab to navigate inside the player and press enter to activate a certain button or link.
Listen to selected text
You can select a part of the text that you want to listen to and then press the pop-up Listen button that appears next to the mouse pointer. When you click the pop-up Listen button, an audio player appears and ReadSpeaker starts reading the text you have selected.
In the settings menu, you can:
- Choose whether you want to have the text highlighted while read
- Choose whether you want the text highlighted on a word and sentence basis, sentence only, or word only
- Choose style and colors for the highlighting
- Choose whether you want the reading speed to be slow, medium, or fast
- Choose whether you want the page to scroll automatically to follow the highlighted text
- Choose whether you want the pop-up Listen button to be shown when text is selected
Please visit ReadSpeaker’s website for more information about online text to speech.
Phone: (03) 5036 2404