Review of the Planning Scheme every four years is a mandatory requirement under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 Council has commenced the review of its Planning Scheme in July 2015 and has prepared the 2015 Swan Hill Planning Scheme Review Report in consultation with internal staff, Councillors and relevant State agencies.
Key findings of the review include:
- There have been significant changes at State and local levels since the last review of the planning scheme
- Since the last review there have been various amendments undertaken to the planning scheme which have made significant content changes to the scheme
- Since the last review various strategic works have been adopted by Council which need to be incorporated into the planning scheme
- Current Municipal Strategic Statement and the local policies are too wordy, some information are no longer relevant and also consists some inconsistencies
- There are opportunities to include new and revised schedules to the existing zones, overlays and particular provisions to reflect locally appropriate requirements
- There are also opportunities to include new overlays such as Car Parking Overlay with a new schedule that can specify locally appropriate car parking requirements with a cash in lieu scheme for car parking waiver
- The review also identifies policy gaps in the current scheme and recommends further strategic works to be undertaken.
Council at its meeting on 20 October 2015 adopted the 2015 Swan Hill Planning Scheme Review Report, and has submitted the report to Minister for Planning. The recommendations in the report including necessary amendments to the Swan Hill Planning Scheme will be implemented at suitable times.