The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) L2P Program is a community-based program developed to assist eligible young Victorian learner drivers between the ages of 16 and 21 years (and in some circumstances, up to 23 years) who do not have access to a supervising driver, or an appropriate vehicle gain driving experience required for a probationary license. The TAC L2P Program is funded by the TAC, administered by the Department of Transport and coordinated by TAC L2P Swan Hill and Robinvale.
How does it work?
Our Program matches eligible learners with a vehicle and fully licensed volunteer mentor driver to help learners gain driving experience.
Before being matched with a volunteer mentor and throughout the course of their L2P driving journey, participating learners have access to several free driving lessons with a professional driving instructor. This helps learners build their skills through the four stages of the Graduated Licensing System before getting on the road with a volunteer mentor.
- Stage 1 – Basic car control
- Stage 2 – Quiet streets
- Stage 3 – Complex traffic
- Stage 4 – Rehearsing solo
With a specific focus on reducing Victoria’s road toll, the TAC L2P program focuses on helping young people become safe, confident drivers. Additionally, it also provides an opportunity to interact with positive adult role models, gain confidence and move towards social independence. Volunteer mentors also have opportunities to connect with other mentors within their geographical region.
Who is eligible for the TAC L2P program?
To be considered for a learner position within our TAC L2P Program, Learners need to meet the following criteria: *
- be between 16 and 23 years old (please note applicants between 21-23 are only considered under special circumstances)*
- hold a current Victorian learner’s permit
- not have access to a supervising driver and/or an appropriate vehicle **
- live in the Swan Hill Rural City Council municipality *
If you’re accepted into the TAC L2P Program as a learner, our L2P program will be responsible for your participation and ongoing advice.
* In some circumstances, we will consider applications up to 23 years of age, or outside our Local Government Area. Please contact us for further information.
** There are several factors that determine if a vehicle or supervising driver is appropriate. If you’re unsure, you can contact us on the number below.
Application process for Learners
To be considered for the TAC L2P program, learners and volunteer mentors must complete an application form and undergo an assessment.Apply online on the VicRoads website
Paper-based application forms can be downloaded from the VicRoads website and returned directly to our program using the contact details below.
Once the application form is received, we will be in contact to go through the next steps.
Becoming a L2P Mentor
The TAC L2P Program doesn’t just benefit learner drivers. In joining the TAC L2P Program, volunteer mentors work with and are responsible to Swan Hill and Robinvale L2P Program who will work with you and provide opportunities to directly help a young learner driver and connect with the community.
We have a full training program to ensure you’re well prepared to mentor a learner driver and understand your role as a supervising driver. Learners participating in the program also have access to free driving lessons with a professional instructor to build their skills before getting on the road with a volunteer mentor.
Volunteer mentors need to meet the following criteria to be considered for the TAC L2P program:
- be over 21 years of age
- hold a current full Australian driver’s licence
- have a satisfactory driver license history report
- be medically fit to drive (we may discuss this further through the application process)
- not be currently working as a professional driving instructor
- can commit approximately 1-2 hours per week
Additionally, as part of the application process, you will be asked to provide*:
- a valid (volunteer) Working with Children’s Check
- a satisfactory National Police Check
* Our Program can help with these if required.
L2P Mentor Program Project Officer
Phone: (03) 5036 2380
The TAC L2P Program is funded by the TAC, managed by the Department of Transport (DoT) and supported by the Victorian Government.
Thanks to major sponsors Swan Hill & Kerang Toyota and Murray Mallee LLEN.
Thanks to our other program sponsors:
- Murray Downs Golf and Country Club
- Tasco Petroleum
How can we improve this page?
Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.