The TAC L2P Program helps young people aged 16 to 21 who have their Learners Permit to get their probationary licence.
It supports young people who face major barriers or problems to get their probationary licence. This may include:
- Lack of access to a car
- Lack of access to a supervising driver
- Family support
- Economic issues
L2P provides these young learner drivers with driving practice, which is supervised by a fully licensed driver who acts as their volunteer mentor.
You can make a difference in the life of a young person by registering to become a volunteer mentor.
How the program works
- Council receives TAC funding to co-ordinate the TAC L2P Program.
- Through the program, learner drivers have lessons in the basics of driving a car with a registered Driving School.
- The learner drivers can have up to seven lessons during their time in the program.
- Learners are then matched to a volunteer mentor who guides their development as safe drivers.
- Extensive VicRoads training is given to volunteer mentors before they are matched with learner driver.
With the help of their mentor and the TAC L2P Program, learners get driving practice in a range of conditions.
This is vital for learner drivers to get their compulsory 120 hours of driving practice, required by VicRoads before taking the probationary licence test.
The TAC L2P program is free for learner drivers. All costs and insurances are covered by Council. A car is supplied by Swan Hill and Kerang Toyota.
The benefits of being a volunteer mentor include:
- Meeting new people from diverse backgrounds and expanding your social circle.
- Gaining satisfaction and fulfillment from giving back to your community.
- Developing social and professional skills.
- Making a positive difference to a young person’s life, as well as your own.
- Getting to know your community better.
- Having fun along the way!
Phone: (03) 5036 2380
Victoria’s L2P Program is funded by the TAC and managed by VicRoads.
Thanks to major sponsors Swan Hill and Kerang Toyota and Tasco.
Thanks to our other program sponsors:
- Murray Downs Golf and Country Club
- Murray Mallee LLEN