The TAC L2P Program assists disadvantaged Victorian learner drivers aged 16 to 21 with no access to a supervising driver or vehicle to gain the 120 hours driving experience required to apply for a probationary licence.
The TAC L2P Program is funded by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) and Department of Transport (DoT), supported by the Victorian Government and coordinated by TAC L2P Swan Hill and Robinvale.
How does it work?
The TAC L2P Program matches learners from 16 to 21 years old with a fully-licensed volunteer driver and practice vehicle to help them gain driving experience.
Before being matched with a volunteer mentor, learners participating in the program have access to up to seven free driving lessons throughout the program with a professional instructor. This helps learners build their skills before getting on the road with a volunteer mentor and continue progressing through the four stages of the Graduated Licensing System.
The program focuses on helping young people become safe, confident drivers, in an effort to reduce Victoria’s road toll. It also provides an opportunity for young people to interact with positive adult role models, gain confidence and move towards social independence.
Who is eligible for the TAC L2P program?
Learners need to meet the following criteria to join the TAC L2P program:
- be between 16 and 21 years old
- hold a current learner permit
- have no access to a vehicle or a supervising driver*
- live in Swan Hill Rural City Council.
* Applications outside of the standard criteria also will be considered, please contact your L2P Coordinator for further information.
Application process for Learners
To be eligible for the TAC L2P program, learners (or their parent or guardian) need to complete a learner driver application form.
- TAC L2P Learner Driver Application Form (pdf 133kb)
- Send your completed form to email@example.com
Once received, an L2P program coordinator will contact you to schedule an interview time.
Becoming a L2P Mentor
The TAC L2P program doesn’t just benefit learner drivers. The program gives our volunteer mentors an opportunity to connect with their community, and directly help a young person.
We have a full training program for mentors to ensure you’re well prepared to mentor a learner driver and understand your role as a supervising driver. Learners participating in the program also have access to free driving lessons with a professional instructor to build their skills before getting on the road with a volunteer mentor.
Mentors need to meet the following criteria to join the TAC L2P program:
- be over 21 years old
- hold a current full Victorian driver licence
- can commit approximately 2 hours per week
To apply as a mentor please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- L2P Learner Driver Newsletter – Summer 2020 (pdf 1MB)
- L2P Learner Driver Newsletter – Spring 2019 (pdf 2MB)
- L2P Learner Driver Newsletter – Autumn 2019 (pdf 4MB)
- L2P Learner Driver Newsletter – Spring 2018 (pdf 3MB)
- L2P Learner Driver Newsletter – Autumn 2018 (pdf 2MB)
- L2P Learner Driver Newsletter – Summer 2018 (pdf 2MB)
Phone: (03) 5036 2380
The TAC L2P Program is funded by the TAC, managed by the Department of Transport (DoT) and supported by the Victorian Government.
Thanks to major sponsors Swan Hill and Kerang Toyota and Tasco.
Thanks to our other program sponsors:
- Murray Downs Golf and Country Club
- Murray Mallee LLEN