Public Health Services offers advice and help on all tobacco and smoking-related issues.
Council participates in tobacco test purchasing to check tobacco retailers aren’t selling cigarettes to people under the age of 18.
We also inspect a number of premises to make sure they obey the Tobacco Act 1987 and respond to all complaints about tobacco.
Current tobacco reforms in force:
- A ban on smoking in cars with a person under 18 years
- A ban on sale of cigarettes at temporary outlets (such as horse races)
- A ban on certain fruit-flavoured cigarettes
- A ban on display of tobacco products
Smoking ban where children play
From Tuesday 1 April 2014, smoking is banned outdoors within 10 meters of playgrounds and skate parks, sporting venues during under 18s events and within public swimming pool grounds.
Tobacco sales and smoking
The Department of Health provides information about tobacco reforms including:
- Tobacco retailers
- Vending machines
- Tobacco smoke in workplaces
- Licensed premises
- Outdoor dining/drinking
Department of Health – Tobacco reforms
Public Health Services
Phone: (03) 5036 2591