Home > Community > Your Community > Swan Hill Seniors > Home Support and Community Care
Home Support and Community Care

Home Support and Community Care

haccCommonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) and Home and Community Care (HACC) services assist people with day-to-day tasks and supports social activities.

Through its Active Service Model, the Victorian Department of Health helps people improve their wellbeing and quality of life while maintaining their independence. It focuses on what a person can and wants to do, instead of what they can’t do.

Funding for Swan Hill Rural City Council’s Community Care Services is provided through the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP), Home and Community Care (HACC) and other State and Federal funding programs.

Intake and referral

Referrals for services can be lodged here:
My Aged Care website
or  phone: 1800 200 422
If you have difficulty accessing a computer or are unable to lodge a referral through the website please contact:
Community Care Services
Phone: (03) 5036 4700

You may be eligible for CHSP/HACC services if:

  • You are a frail, older person
  • You are a person with a disability
  • You care for a frail, older person or a person with a disability
  • You are assessed as in need of support to retain your independence and quality of life

A referral for services can also be made by:

  • Residents, their families or friends
  • Medical and health practitioners
  • Hospitals and other community agencies

HACC assessment

After a referral is received and processed, an Assessment Officer will visit you in your home to talk about your needs. The Assessment Officer might ask a lot of questions so they can understand your situation and any support services you need. After the assessment you will be given an individual care plan that you and the Assessment Officer both agree on. The plan will outline the services and tasks you need. The Assessment Officer might also give you other options and help with referrals to other agencies or programs to help improve your ability to live within your home and community.


Domestic assistance

Domestic assistance helps maintain a safe, healthy home so frail older people and people with disabilities and their carers live independently at home and in their community. It provides vital housekeeping tasks that can’t be done by the client such as the bathroom, toilet, kitchen, living areas and bedroom or help with shopping.

A waiting list applies for this service.

Personal care

This helps a person with tasks they can’t do on their own because of illness, disability or frailty. Examples of personal care services include:

  • Bathing
  • Dressing
  • Grooming
  • Assistance with food preparation
  • Assistance with mobility

Respite care

Respite provides the carers of frail older people and carers of people with a disability (of any age), with a break. Respite is also an opportunity for the person being cared for to have a break, or an outing without their usual carer. It might be a planned regular respite, emergency respite, crisis respite or occasional respite. Respite can be provided in a client’s home or in the community.

Property maintenance

Property maintenance helps with the maintenance of the client’s home, garden or yard to keep their home in a safe and habitable condition. Priority is given to safety and security tasks. Property maintenance does not include work normally undertaken by a tradesperson. Property maintenance tasks include:

  • Minor internal repairs
  • Light trimming of trees and removal of clippings
  • Lawn mowing and garden maintenance (lawn mowing is not available for clients with immediate family living within 10km of their home)
  • Carrying out referrals from Occupational Therapy

The property maintenance service is organized through a voucher system instead of a regular rostered service.   This enables the client to choose the council approved contractor they wish to use themselves.  It also allows the client to organize the service when required.  An Assessment Officer will evaluate what repairs, maintenance or regular work a client needs at their home. The assessment will establish if work is needed for client’s safety, security and wellbeing. A separate assessment by an Occupational Therapist is required for the installation of rails, ramps, etc.

A waiting list applies for this service.

Delivered meals

Delivered meals are available to clients assessed as being nutritionally at risk. Meals are delivered by volunteers to clients in Swan Hill, Robinvale, Manangatang,  and Nyah/Nyah West townships.

Social support and planned activities

This provides opportunities to socialise through group activities or outings. Outings visit places of interest within our municipality and beyond. There are three main groups:

  • Respite groups
  • Planned activity groups
  • Exercise groups

If you have health or mobility issues, our trained staff can assist.

Veterans’ Home Care

This program offers a range of home support services based on a veteran’s needs. Services include:

  • Domestic assistance
  • Personal care
  • Respite
  • Home and garden maintenance

The Veterans’ Home Care Assessment and Co-ordination Service conducts assessments for Council.

Contact Veterans’ Home Care
Phone: (03) 5444 9999

Senior Citizen Centres

Senior Citizens Centres provide social and recreational opportunities for members. Their programs are co-ordinated by committees and can vary between centres. Club membership is open to residents 55 years and over. We provide maintenance of centres and support to seniors’ clubs. Senior Citizen Centres and clubs are located at:

Manangatang Wattle Street President: (03) 5035 1309
Secretary: (03) 5035 1343
Nyah West & District Monash Avenue President: (03) 5030 5020
Secretary: (03) 5033 1021
Robinvale Robin Street President: (03) 5026 9381
Secretary: (03) 5026 3661
Swan Hill Curlewis Street President: 0423 521400
Secretary: (03) 5033 0753


The Assessment Officer will discuss the cost during an evaluation.  Costs are set annually according to CHSP/HACC fees policy.