Camping and caravanning is certainly growing in popularity – and let’s be honest, our region has so much to offer to camping enthusiasts!
If you are considering coming to our municipality for overnight camping, please be aware that there are rules and regulations in place.
Unless you are located within a caravan park, overnight camping on most of Council’s land and roads within the Swan Hill municipality is prohibited without a permit.
Can I camp at the Swan Hill Showgrounds?
No. Camping is prohibited at the Swan Hill Showgrounds.
Where can I free camp?
- The maximum length of stay is 7 nights in a 60-day period
- If you are staying more than 3 nights, you must register with the Nyah Store & Post Office located on the Murray Valley Highway Nyah.
- There is no power or showers provided on-site
- Free standing tents are only permitted when used in conjunction with RV, caravan or camper trailer.
Camp on Crown land
There are other free camping areas located on Crown Land along the Murray River. These areas include:
For further information about camping on Crown land please visit the Department of Environment, Land Water and Planning
Where can I access a dump point?
- Nyah Reserve
- Robinvale Reserve
- Swan Hill Showgrounds
Can I camp on my own land?
Within a residential area, a property owner or occupier must not have more than one caravan on the land without a permit from Council.
You may camp for a period of seven nights in a six-month period without a permit. If you wish to camp on your own land for more than 7 days in this period, you will require a permit from Council.
How do I apply for a permit?
You may apply to Council in writing by emailing email@example.com
Council will take the following into consideration when assessing the application:
- Whether a building permit has been granted
- Reasons for the application
- Number of people to occupy
- Length of the request
- The means of waste water management and disposal
- Impacts on the amenity of the immediate area
Report an issue to Council
If you have an issue with caravans or campers you can report the issue through the Council website.Report an issue to Council
Phone: (03) 5036 2346 (office hours only)
How can we improve this page?
Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.
Please include your email address if you would like a reply.