Council’s Municipal Emergency Management Plan (MEMP) is used during times of emergency.
Council manages municipal resources and co-ordinates support for our community to deal with the effects of an emergency. This includes responding to and recovering from emergencies, such as:
- Providing emergency relief to people affected by or responding to an emergency.
- Municipal help to agencies responding to and recovering from emergencies.
- Assessing the impact of an emergency.
- Recovery activities within our municipality, with the Department of Human Services.
So we can carry out these emergency management duties, Council has a Municipal Emergency Management Group. During an emergency, the group will meet to decide what level of activity is needed.
This group consists of:
- Municipal Emergency Resource Officer (MERO) (senior Council officer)
- Municipal Recovery Manager (MRM) (senior Council officer)
- Chief Executive Officer (or delegated senior officer/director)
- Municipal Emergency Response Coordinator (MERC) (senior Police officer)
- Control agency representative
- Other agency representatives as required
Neighbourhood Safer Places – Places of Last Resort
Council has designated the following Neighbourhood Safer Places:
- Robinvale – Recreation Reserve, Latje Rd, Robinvale
- Swan Hill – Showgrounds, Corner Stradbroke Avenue and McCallum St, Swan Hill
Neighbourhood Safer Places (NSPs) are a place of last resort when all other plans have failed.
They can provide some protection from direct flame and radiant heat during a fire but may still be subject to ember attack.
NSPs are NOT relief centres – there are limited facilities and no support or services are provided.
NSPs are NOT places to relocate to when leaving early.