Council’s Environment Unit protects and enhances our municipality’s diverse natural and living landscape.
The Environment Unit aims to:
- Educate and encourage our community and staff to take up sustainable living practices.
- Protect native vegetation and restore and regenerate the landscape.
- Apply sustainable water use practices.
- Identify and control pest plant and animal infestations (where appropriate).
- Develop and put into action Environmental Management Systems (EMS).
- Increase recycling in our community and emphasise ‘Avoid, Refuse, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle’ practices.
- Continue to reduce the municipality’s environmental footprint.
- Increase awareness of the environment, sustainability and natural resource management throughout our municipality.
Water-wise refers to landscaping in such a way that reduces or eliminates the need for extra water from irrigation.
Wetlands are a critical part of our natural environment. They reduce the impact of floods, soak up pollutants, filter urban runoff and improve water quality.
Revegetation is an ongoing project for Council, with plantings along roadsides and in urban parks throughout our municipality.