Home > Environment and Waste > Fires > Open air burning outside the Fire Danger Period
Open air burning outside the Fire Danger Period

Open air burning outside the Fire Danger Period


The Fire Danger Period has commenced and fire restrictions now in force.
Permits to burn during this time will NOT be issued by Council.
For more information visit the CFA website.

During the Fire Danger Period as declared by the Country Fire Authority (CFA), permits to burn will not be issued by Council

Do I need a permit to burn at my property?

You will need to apply for a permit to burn if you wish to burn within a Fire Restriction Zone.

You do not need a permit to burn if you are using the following items to cook or for heating: pizza oven barbecue, fire pit, chimenea, fire brazier or other properly constructed appliance while it is being used for cooking food or heating.

Is my property in a Fire Restriction Zone?

If you are unsure if your property resides in a Fire Restriction Zone, check the relevant Township map below.  Areas highlighted on the maps are Fire Restriction Zones.

My property is outside of the Fire Restriction Zone

  • You do not require a permit to burn.
  • Your burning must be located at least 100m from a neighbouring residence.
  • Do not burn offensive materials such as chemicals, rubber, plastic, petroleum, oil, paint, lawn clippings or food waste.
  • All burn-offs should be registered with ESTA on 1800 668 511.

Permit fees

No permit fee is required.

Apply for a permit to burn

  1. Complete an application form above and email it to locallaws@swanhill.vic.gov.au
  2. As part of your application assessment a Council Officer will contact you to perform an inspection of your property and the area you are applying to burn.
  3. Once your application has been assessed, you will be advised in writing if a permit will be issued to you.
  4. Please allow up to 7 business days for processing.

You must not burn without a permit issued to you by Council.

What happens if I get caught burning without a permit?

  • Authorised Officers may impose an on the spot fine for burning within the fire zones without a permit.
  • Heavy penalties apply for people burning on a Total Fire Ban days or during the Fire Danger Period.
For more information contact
Local Laws
Phone: (03) 5036 2346 (office hours only)