Do I need a permit to burn at my property?
You will need to apply for a permit to burn if you wish to burn within a Fire Restriction Zone or any part of the municipal district which is zoned commercial, industrial or residential under Council’s Planning Scheme.
You do not need a permit to burn if you are using the following items to cook or for heating: pizza oven barbecue, fire pit, chimenea, fire brazier or other properly constructed appliance while it is being used for cooking food or heating.
Is my property in a Fire Restriction Zone?
Apply for a permit to burn
- Complete an application form above and email it to email@example.com
- As part of your application assessment a Council Officer will contact you to perform an inspection of your property and the area you are applying to burn.
- Once your application has been assessed, you will be advised in writing if a permit will be issued to you.
- Please allow up to 7 business days for processing.
You must not burn without a permit issued to you by Council.
Prevent unnecessary fire brigade responses by notifying ESTA000 about your plans to conduct a burn.
- Call 1800 668 511 or visit https://firepermits.vic.gov.au/
No permit fee is required.
What happens if I get caught burning without a permit?
- Authorised Officers may impose an on the spot fine for burning within the fire zones without a permit.
- Heavy penalties apply for people burning on a Total Fire Ban days or during the Fire Danger Period.
Phone: (03) 5036 2346 (office hours only)
How can we improve this page?
Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.
Please include your email address if you would like a reply.