Council provides a free hard waste collection every second year to residents in areas where landfill operation hours are limited.
Domestic Hard Waste Collection
What you can put out:
All items must be able to be lifted shoulder height by two persons, and be no longer than 1.5 metres.
- Old tins, scrap iron, and other waste metal.
- Empty and clean paint tins, lids off.
- Crockery, chinaware etc.
- Carpet (rolled and tied – limit of one room).
- Household furniture, such as couches, beds, carpet (rolled and tied – limit 1 room).
- Household appliances such as refrigerators (remove doors), stoves, washing machines, dishwashers.
- Electrical appliances, tools, equipment, mowers, and small car parts.
- Up to 10 pieces of timber (neatly tied) not exceeding 1.5m in length. Nails must be bent over or removed.
What you can’t put out:
Items that will NOT be collected include:
- Over-length or over-weight items of any nature.
- Waste from industrial and commercial premises.
- Waste material from construction, renovation and demolition of buildings, including fencing.
- Bricks, concrete, stone, clay, sand and soil.
- Liquids whether or not in sealed containers including paint, oil, garden sprays and chemicals.
- Farm equipment.
- Hazardous or offensive waste, including asbestos.
- Household garbage.
- Tyres or batteries of any type.
- Televisions and computer monitors (Please note: although e-waste is accepted for free at the Swan Hill Landfill, collecting these items during hard waste collection is too dangerous).
Please Note: Clear access is required to your nature strip on collection day. Avoid parking cars near waste materials.
Waste Management Department
Phone: (03) 5036 2401