Monday, 26 February 2024
Breaking News


As a private landowner you have a legal responsibility to control weeds on your property.

Under the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994(CaLP Act) , all land owners are legally required to manage declared noxious weeds and pest animals on their land. This means land owners must take all reasonable steps to:

  • eradicate regionally prohibited weeds
  • prevent the growth and spread of regionally controlled weeds

There are several invasive plants that have spread across our region. These plants include:

These plants are very invasive and compete with the native vegetation.

Why control weeds

Apart from the legislative requirement to control noxious weeds, it is beneficial because weeds are:

  • invasive
  • provide harbour for pest animals
  • reduce productivity
  • compete with native species
  • reduce water quality

Classifications and responsibilities

There are four levels of noxious weeds identified in the CaLP Act. Each has its own requirements for landholders.

The categories are:

  • State prohibited – The Victorian State Government is responsible for the eradication of these weeds on all land.
  • Regionally prohibited – The relevant land manager is responsible for the eradication of these weeds.
  • Regionally controlled – The relevant land manager is responsible for prevention of growth and spread of these weeds.
  • Restricted – The relevant land manager is responsible for preventing trade or spread (by contamination) of these weeds.
View a consolidated lists of declared noxious weeds

Agriculture Victoria are the authorised body under the CaLP Act for enforcement action on landholders who fail to meet their legal obligation to control declared weeds and pest animals.

Weeds on neighbouring properties

Have a friendly chat with your neighbour about how you can work together to control weeds. If neighbourly negotiation is not possible, the Victorian Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources has the authority to enforce weed control legislation.

Please note, local government has no enforcement powers with respect to noxious weed control on private property, however if a property is dangerous or unsightly you can report this for Council to investigate.

Weeds on roadsides

Council has an annual weed control programs which aims to enhance the biodiversity values of the shire’s roadsides and manage fire risk, which in turn reduces the spread of noxious weeds. Residents are advised not to undertake weed control on roadsides unless a permit for environmental works is approved.

You can report a roadside weed problem to Council and we will investigate.

Report an issue to Council

Did you find this information useful?

How can we improve this page?

Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.

Please include your email address if you would like a reply.