Home > Community Flood Updates
Community Flood Updates

Community Flood Updates

Emergency Information

  • If you are in immediate danger and require urgent assistance, dial 000
  • For flood emergency assistance call SES on 132 500 (this number is for NSW residents also)
  • Individuals or households effected by floods are encouraged to contact the Flood Recovery Hotline on 1800 560 760

Do not drive through flood waters

Useful community flood information (pdf 578kb)

Flood Wardens

Flood Wardens

Community flood wardens assist VICSES to prepare for floods – they are dedicated volunteers with local knowledge, across a number of locations within our region.

If you’re not sure who your local flood warden is, you can report issues with levees directly to VICSES and Swan Hill Rural City Council.

  • Call VICSES on 132 500 to report emergency levee overtopping and breaches.
  • Call Council on 50362333 to report other concerns with Council maintained levees in the towns Swan Hill and Robinvale.

This is the fastest way to get your information to the people who can act upon it.

Stay Informed

Stay Informed

There are a number of emergency services working together to provide up-to-date and accurate information, residents are encouraged to monitor these website and/or apps closely:

Flood map

Interactive online flood map

This online flood map allows you to search for your property address and gives a better indication of where floodwaters may reach.  The blue shaded area represents what hydrologists estimate the extent of the floods may be based on historical information captured (for example: photos and gauge heights).

Please use:

  • Mid Murray 2% AEP depths (m) (Indicative 2022 flood event) to filter Wemen, Robinvale and Boundary Bend and for our region.
  • Mid Murray 5% AEP depths (m) (Indicative 2022 flood event) to filter other parts of our region.

This map will be updated as more accurate modelling becomes available.


Flood mapping

Flood mapping



Sandbagging information

How to make a sandbag wall

Video courtesy of Campaspe Shire.

Road closures and conditions

Road closures and conditions

Emergency accommodation

Emergency accommodation

Emergency Relief Centre’s (ERC) can be activated, if required.

In the instance that it is reopened, it will be located at:

The Stadium Swan Hill
15 Grey Street
Swan Hill VIC 3585
Phone: 0447 094 347

  • Community members should first consider relocating to family and friends’ homes or other individual options away from emergency affected area.
  • ERCs are not comfortable places to relocate to, providing only basic support services such as food, water, first aid and emergency shelter.
  • Individuals who relocate to an ERC need to ideally bring with them sturdy footwear, change of clothes for hot and cool weather, toiletries and any medication that they require.
  • Animals are not permitted inside an ERC – if bringing companion animals, ensure they are housed in appropriate cages (horse floats) and bring their food, bedding, vaccination cards and medications.  Animals must be registered if they are at the ERC location.

Messages to the community about which ERCs are open will be distributed via Vic Emergency, Warning and Advice messages issued by the IC, Emergency Broadcasters, Council website, social media channels (e.g Facebook and Twitter) and the customer service line.

Financial assistance

Financial assistance

Emergency financial assistance is available for those effected by the floods, for more information visit https://emergencypayments.dffh.vic.gov.au/

Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) is for employees and sole traders who lose income because of a major disaster. You can get payments for up to 13 weeks after the disaster happens. These payments are taxable. The Australian Government is providing this allowance for 46 Victorian LGAs. More areas may be added depending on how they are affected by flooding. Information about the payments and all eligible LGAs is available at https://servicesaustralia.gov.au/disasterevents

Flood Recovery Support for people and communities affected by the 2022 Victorian floods https://www.vic.gov.au/2022-flood-recovery

Victorian Primary Producer Flood Recovery Package  is supporting primary producers across Victoria affected by the devastating floods to get back in business, with a package of support to help kickstart their relief and recovery effort. https://www.ruralfinance.com.au/industry-programs/victorian-primary-producer-flood-recovery-package
Financial Support for Primary Producers (Agriculture Victoria) (pdf 173kb)

Rural Financial Counselling Service Victoria West (RFCS)

REFCS Victoria West’s team of  Small Business and Rural Financial Counsellors are available to assist farmers and small business owners navigate the range of flood relief grants and government support.  The team can assist from the beginning to the end of the application process and provide support through flood recovery.

During times of crisis,  mental health and wellbeing issues can also become a concern – feeling of stress, anxiety and loss can all make the rebuilding journey that much more difficult.  RFCS Victoria West has a team of qualified Wellbeing Counsellors available to ensure anyone working with a financial counsellor is fully supported.

Appointments are FREE of charge.

You can reach out by calling 1300 735 578 or visiting  www.RFCSVictoriaWest.com.au

Urgent animal welfare

Urgent animal welfare

Call Agriculture Victoria on 1800 226 226 for urgent animal welfare needs.
Telephone: 1800 226 226, press 9 if an interpreter is required.
Email: recovery@agriculture.vic.gov.au
Website: https://agriculture.vic.gov.au/floods

Health and wellbeing

Health and wellbeing

Mental health support

Confidential mental health support is also available, residents should not hesitate to reach out if they need to:

  • Lifeline13 11 14
  • Suicide Call Back Service1300 659 467
  • Partners in Wellbeing1300 375 330 for financial, business and emotional wellbeing
  • Rural Financial Counselling Service1300 735 578
  • The Flood Recovery Hotline1800 560 760 can also be used for assistance with navigating available support, clean-up, and mental health and wellbeing support.
  • Mental Health & Wellbeing Hubs are available to help anyone who is feeling overwhelmed or having a difficult time and a telehealth appointment can be booked by calling 1300 375 330 (9am-10pm weekdays and 9am – 5pm weekends). You do not need a referral from a GP or health professional to access support through a Mental Health & Wellbeing Hub.


Significant rainfall and flood waters can remain for days and stagnant water is where mosquitoes can breed. Mosquitoes can carry disease that may pass on to people through mosquito bites.

To control mosquitoes around your home, follow these tips:

  • Remove stagnant water around your home so mosquitoes can’t breed.
  • Check and seal rainwater tanks. Alternatively install a fly screen.
  • Empty flowerpot trays, tyres, buckets, and childrens toys that hold water.
  • Mosquitoes can bite through right clothing. Wear light, long, loose-fitting clothing.
  • Use repellants that contain Picardin or DEET on all exposed skin.
  • Keep mosquitoes out of your house or accommodation by using netting or insect screens.
  • Use fly spray or residual insect sprays around the entries to your home.

For more information on how to protect yourself visit : Better Health Channel

Water quality

Personal Safety

Personal Safety

In the interests of community safety, the VICSES suggests the following precautions:

  • If your property has been flood affected check your home or buildings for damage before you enter
  • If your building has been flooded, all electrical and gas appliances should be checked by a licensed technician before you use them
  • Flood waters are dangerous
  • Flood waters may be toxic
  • Don’t walk, ride or drive through flood water
  • Don’t allow children to play in flood water
  • Stay away from waterways and storm water drains
  • Keep well clear of fallen power lines

Preparing for disasters

Preparing for disasters

If you want to prepare for disasters, have experienced a disaster or are recovering from a disaster, Red Cross has a host of useful emergency management resources that can help.


You cannot prevent a flood occurring; however, there are things you can do to reduce the impact of a flood on you and your family. Is your house or business likely to flood? Will your home be cut off due to flood waters? Have a list of emergency contact numbers ready to use.


Prepare your property to reduce the impact of the flood waters. Make sure your emergency kit is up to date, check ‘use by’ dates on food and bottled water and replace if necessary. Develop a well thought out flood plan involving everyone who lives in the house and make sure that you all agree on the plan. Understand the flood potential for various alert warnings. Don’t forget part of your plan should be to have sand bags on hand.


Will you leave your property early if your area is being evacuated or will you stay? Make this decision with everyone in your house.

During – respond

Put your flood plan into action. If you have received warnings that flooding is about to happen, if your decision is to leave your home, then do so if it’s not too late. If your plan is to stay, then take action. Some things to do – turn off electrical appliances, stack things on higher furniture such as beds and cabinets, remove food from the refrigerator and open the refrigerator door.

After – Recovery

Whether you or your community have been directly affected by a flood, you may require assistance afterwards. Many services are available to you, depending on the severity of the flood. The Flood Recovery Hotline is a single state-wide number, 1800 560 760, that Victorians impacted by the October 2022 floods can call for help or assistance with:

  • navigating available supports – including financial supports
  • clean-up
  • temporary accommodation
  • mental health and wellbeing support

For information and support about the relief services that may be available to you, call the Flood Recovery Hotline 1800 560 760.

Council response

Council response

Council continues our efforts, closely monitoring the situation and forecasting as provided by emergency services.

Preparation works are being undertaken and designated sandbagging areas have been established, if they are required.

Council inspectors are focusing on maintenance of weak points on levees and identifying any risks.

We will continue cleaning drains and storm water pits, pump inspections and will be particularly focusing on low lying areas and areas of concern.

We are working closely with the control agency VICSES and other support agencies, and will follow instructions as they are issued.

An Emergency Relief Centre can be re-activated, if required.

Did you find this information useful?

How can we improve this page?

Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.

Please include your email address if you would like a reply.