Home > Business > Business Permits > Roadside or vehicle trading
Roadside or vehicle trading

Roadside or vehicle trading

Do I require a permit?

You will require a permit if you intend to sell food or drinks from a mobile food vehicle on council land or road reserves.

This includes specifically purposed vans, trucks or other fully contained vehicles with wheels, which hold a valid vehicle registration.

Many major roads are controlled by Vic Roads, and Council is unable to issue permits for those areas.

Check if the roadside you intend to trade from is a VicRoads road via

Preparing your application

Complete the application form below and return it to Council with the required documentation and fee.

Documents required:

  • Insurance certificate showing dates of coverage and $20 million in public liability
  • Proof if your organisation is a charity or non-for profit
  • Proof of registration with Council or a Streatrader certificate
  • Provided proof you are a voluntary member of Swan Hill Incorporated
  • Images of the interior and exterior of the vehicle/van

If you are not registered with Council, please contact Council’s Public Health Department.


Fees are renewed annually as part of Council’s Fees and Charges.

2021/22 Fees
Annual permit (1 January to 31 December) $1000
Six month permit (may be non-consecutive) $600
Weekend permit (peak season*) $200
Weekend permit (off-peak season*) $100
Limited permit (less than 10 hours per week on Council land) $250

*peak season – holiday periods and long weekends

Mobile Food Trading Code of Practice

The Mobile Food Trading Code of Practice encourages the use of the public space for outdoor mobile food trading because it adds value to the city for all who use it, creating opportunities for entrepreneurs and established fixed food business to activate the riverside precincts. It also allows for a range of food options and availability over busy holiday periods.

The Code of Practice also outlines locations, times and restrictions relating to trade. Please ensure you read the Code of Practice prior to applying for a permit.

For more information contact:
Public Health Services
Phone: (03) 5036 2591

Did you find this information useful?

How can we improve this page?

Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.