Home > Business > Public Health and Accommodation Businesses
Public Health and Accommodation Businesses

Public Health and Accommodation Businesses


Under the Victorian Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, all prescribed premises must be registered with their relevant Council in order to operate.

Please Note: It is an offence to run prescribed premises without registration. Council may prosecute those premises who operate without registration.

Prescribed premises are:

  • Hairdressing
  • Beauty therapy or similar business
  • Colonic irrigation
  • Tattooing, ear piercing (or any other process involving penetration of the skin of a living human being)
  • Accommodation (such as hotels, motels, Bed and Breakfast, rooming houses)

The Public Health and Wellbeing Constructions Guideline has a summary of responsibilities for personal care and body art industry premises.

New businesses

Once you have decided to go ahead with your new business, it’s recommended you contact our office to discuss your business proposal.

A copy of your premise’s plans must be submitted to Public Health Services before starting construction works.

An Environmental Health Officer will either approve your plans in writing or contact you for alterations and amendments within 5 to 7 working days.

Additional approvals may also be required.

Other Council departments and organisations that need to be contacted when considering opening a new business include:

Department Organisation Reason
Council Economic Development Unit
Phone: (03) 5032 3033
Economic profiles, advice and contact point for working with Council.
Council Statutory Planning
Phone: (03) 5036 2352
Town planning advice including parking and signs.
Council Building Department
Phone: (03) 5036 2352
Building permits and toilet requirements.
Council Local Laws
Phone: (03) 5036 2346
Permits and advice on Local Laws, particularly advertising signs on footpaths.
Council Rates Office
Phone: (03) 5036 2333
To discuss what rates and charges are likely to apply.
Lower Murray Water
Phone: (03) 5036 2150
Advice on water supply, trade waste agreements and grease traps.
Consumer Affairs
Phone: 1300 588 181
Advice on business name registration, liquor licence.

This is not a comprehensive list.

After your plans are approved

Once your plans have been approved you can go ahead and fit out your premises.

At this stage you must also provide an application for registration and fee to the Environmental Health Unit.

After registering, you will be sent a certificate of registration. An Environmental Health Officer will also inspect your business before opening.

Check the Health Guidelines for Personal Care and Body Art Industries when starting your application for registration.
Department of Health – Health guidelines for personal care and body art industries

Registration renewal

You must renew your registration every 12 months after the date of your first registration. Registrations expire 31st October every year.

Environmental Health Officers will carry out random inspections to make sure your business is registered.

Caravan Parks

Caravan Parks require registration with Council every 3 years and must comply with the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 and the Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks and Movable Dwellings Registration and Standards) Regulations 2010.

Pools and spas

Any site that operates a public swimming pool/spa must meet requirements of the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009.

These regulations oversee the standards of public swimming pools and public spas.

If not maintained to the standards set out in the regulations, there can be a high risk of infectious disease outbreaks through the use of pools.

Advice and management of pool operation and water treatment visit
Health Department – Water quality guidelines for public aquatic facilities
For more information on requirements and registration contact
Public Health Services
Phone: (03) 5036 2591