Place of Public Entertainment (POPE)

If you are organising a public entertainment event, you may need a Place of public entertainment (POPE) permit from the Municipal Building Surveyor.

Public entertainment includes events:

  • Which can be accessed by the general public, with or without tickets
  • Does not include private or invite only events
  • Does not include use for other purposes such as retail, dining, office space etc

A place of public entertainment (POPE) is defined as an area greater than 500m2 that's used for public entertainment and is either:

  • enclosed or substantially enclosed; or
  • is a paid admission event.

When is a permit required?

A POPE occupancy permit is required for:

  • An assembly or public buildings (Class 9b) having an area greater than 500m2 and any prescribed temporary structures
  • A place having an area greater than 500m2

Exemption applies to community based organisations

Community based organisations using outdoor recreational facilities that are greater than 500 square metres (without temporary structures) and with a crowd, less than 5,000 will be exempt from the requirement of a POPE occupancy permit.

How to apply

Apply online

Step 2.Determine if you also need occupancy permit from the Victorian Building Authority

Some temporary structures require an occupancy permit from the Victorian Building Authority before they can be used for public entertainment. These structures include:

  • Tents, marquees or booths with a floor area greater than 100m²
  • Seating stands for more than 20 people
  • Stages or platforms (including sky boarders and stage wings) exceeding 150m² in floor area
  • Prefabricated buildings exceeding 100m² other than ones placed directly on the ground surface.

Visit the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) website for details on applying for an occupancy permit.

Step 3.Have the details ready

You will need to provide:

  • Event details
  • Occupancy permit from the VBA if applicable
  • Emergency management and evacuation plan
  • Property owners consent
  • Annual essential safety measures report (for any event held in buildings etc)

Step 4.Have your credit card ready

Please note we can not accept Diners Club or American Express.

Step 5.Submit the online form and pay the fee

Apply for a Places of Public Entertainment (POPE) permit 


Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) 2024/25 Fees
POPE permit $736