Caravan park businesses


Caravan parks are an important and valued part of the Victorian lifestyle and economy. They provide permanent and temporary accommodation across the state.

Caravan parks in Victoria are regulated under Part 14 of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 and the Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks and Movable Dwellings Registration and Standards) Regulations 2020.

The Act and the Regulations provide for the safety and amenity of people who use caravan parks.  The Regulations also provide for the health and safety of caravan park users, and set standards for the construction of caravan park cabins. 

Find out about Victoria's regulations related to caravan parks and movable dwellings.

On-site development

Council’s written approval is required for ALL on-site developments in caravan parks prior to the works being carried out.

Apply to install an unregistrable moveable dwelling or rigid annexe.

Registering your business

Are you starting a new business or changing an existing business?

To avoid costly mistakes, allow our expert team to guide you through the necessary permits for launching your business successfully.

Explore our dedicated page for starting, expanding, or buying a business and complete our concierge questionnaire. Our team will promptly assist you, walking you through the essential processes and permits vital for kickstarting your new venture.

Under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, all caravan parks must be registered with Council.

Registering a new caravan park

When you are ready, complete your registration.

Registering a new caravan park

Buying and transferring a caravan park

If you are purchasing a caravan park that has an existing business registration, an application must be made to Council to transfer the registration to the new owner of the business.

Transfer a caravan park business registration

Renewing your caravan park registration

Caravan park business operators are required to renew their registration every 3 years.

You will receive a renewal notice along with clear instructions on the renewal process.


Under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 our Environmental Health Officers can inspect any business that is involved with providing health and wellbeing services.

We may conduct inspections without giving prior notice, at any time during business trading hours. Our inspections focus on a wide range of issues including:

  • cleanliness of accommodation facilities and common areas
  • compliance with regulations and maintenance
  • record keeping


If you want to make a complaint about a caravan park, please let us know

Report an issue