Home > Building and Planning > Building > Places of Public Entertainment (POPE)
Places of Public Entertainment (POPE)

Places of Public Entertainment (POPE)

If you are holding an event in a location not deemed to be normal practice, i.e. a music concert on a football oval, this area is classed as a Place of Public Entertainment (POPE). Under the Building Act 1993 and Regulations 2018 you must obtain a POPE occupancy permit from Council. The following are examples of POPE:

  • A building of more than 500m2 or prescribed temporary structure
  • A place of more than 500m2 used for entertainment that is enclosed, substantially enclosed or to which admission can be gained by payment of money or other consideration
  • The event exceeds 5,000 people

Exemption applies to Community Based Organisations

Community based organisations using outdoor recreational facilities that are greater than 500 square metres (without temporary structures) and with a crowd less than 5,000 will be exempt from the requirement of a POPE occupancy permit.

Did you find this information useful?

How can we improve this page?

Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.