Thursday, 22 February 2024
Breaking News

Swimming pool and spa registrations

On 1 December 2019, the State Government introduced laws to improve swimming pool and spa safety.

These laws introduce new registration, inspection and compliance requirements for property owners. Residents are now required to register their pool and spa with Swan Hill Rural City Council and have their safety barrier inspected once every four years.

The new regulations are in response to a series of coronial investigations, which found that faulty and unsafe pool barriers had contributed to the deaths of children in backyard pools. This aims to bring Victoria in line with New South Wales and Queensland, who already mandate swimming pool and spa regulations and inspections.

What do the new laws apply to?

The new laws apply to swimming pools and spas located in Victoria that are capable of holding more than 300mm (30cm) of water. This includes:

  • inflatable pools
  • above ground pools
  • indoor pools
  • hot tubs
  • bathing or wading pools

Who has to register?

All existing pools and spas must be registered by 1 November 2020.

Any new pools or spas built after 1 November 2020 must be registered within 30 days after issue of occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection.


Registration and information search fee $79.10.  Payable during application process.


Failing to register your swimming pool or spa before 1 November 2020 carries a maximum fine of $1,652.20.

What is the process?

  1. Apply to register your pool or spa with Council
    Please note only the owner of the property can apply to register. If you are a tenant and unsure if your pool or spa is registered with Council please contact your property manager directly.
  2. Council will then confirm via email:
    • the age of your pool/spa
    • the level of barrier standards you must meet
    • when you must lodge your first Certificate of Compliance with Council
  3. You will need to organize for your pool or spa barrier to be checked by a qualified surveyor.  You can search for a registered building practitioner authorised to carry out inspections and certifications using the ‘Find a Practitioner’ tool on the VBA website.
  4. You will need to lodge your Certificate of Compliance with council, by emailing This certificate will need to be updated every four years.

Apply to register your pool or spa with Council

Did you find this information useful?

How can we improve this page?

Your feedback will help us improve the information on this page.

Please include your email address if you would like a reply.